| BY THE APPLE GIRL
On October 5th, a day before Steve Jobs passed away, Apple released the iPhone 4S, the latest in the line of iPhones. On the outside, iPhone 4S looks very much like the iPhone 4, but on the inside it’s got some cool features and hardware.
1. Dual core A5 chip: It’s the same chip that’s in the iPad 2. It’s said to deliver twice the power and seven times faster graphics. The Epic Infinity Blade 2 Demo at the Apple event was phenomenal. Sometimes, I feel my iPhone 4 is slower in opening up Apps as compared to the iPad2. Well, the A5 chip is going to fix that. iPhone 4S is expected to give up to 8 hours of battery life on 3G and 6/8 hours of internet usage on 3G/Wifi.
2. Camera: It’s unbelievable how many markets Apple is trying to occupy. In my opinion, it’s won the mobile market:). Then there is the camera market. Many people use their mobile phones as their primary camera, so Apple just made the iPhone’s camera much better. The iPhone 4S camera comes with a 8 megapixel camera, which is available on some Android phones already. But the iPhone 4S comes with all new optics to make the pictures sharper, a f2.4 aperture to let in more light. Apple also claims that the new A5 chip comes with a new image signal processor which is as good as on many DSLRs.
Doesn’t it bother you when you pull out your phone to take a picture, and it takes ages to take that first picture. You probably would have lost the picture perfect moment in those few seconds. iPhone 4S’s time to first picture more than halves the time taken by phone cameras and time to second picture is 1/4 the time taken by other phones. I think that’s quite a nifty feature. And of course, iPhone 4S comes with already existing feature, HDR which captures 3 photos with different exposure in a single photo. With the iCloud feature in iOS 5, you get to send all the pictures automatically to the cloud and to all your iDevices connected to it.
Apple also upped the quality on the video camera to 1080p HD video with image stabilization. All in all, I think Apple has done an excellent job with the camera.
3. Siri: Siri is your personal assistant. It lets you use your voice to send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls, search the internet and much more. Siri understands what you say and what you mean too. Apple has tried to make Siri intelligent such that you don’t need to use only certain keywords that most phones do. Siri is pretty cool and knowing how Apple does things, you can only expect an enriched Siri in the coming software releases. Right now, Siri is only available on the iPhone 4S and wont be available for software upgrade on iPhone 4.
4. Improved antenna system: What this means is that you can download anything faster than an iPhone 4. The download speed is 14.4Mbps as compared to 7.2 Mbps on iPhone 4. This is one awesome feature for all those who crib about slow downloads.
5. World Phone: iPhone 4S is a dual technology phone. You can use the same phone on GSM and CDMA networks all over the world.
6. iCards: Remember when I said, that Apple is going after a lot of big guys. Well, looks like Hallmark is also being served, because Apple introduced this feature called the iCards, where you can create an iCard right from your iPhone or iPad. With a few taps you can ship it to anywhere in the world.
7. iOS 5: is the latest in the software upgrades and is packed with some tremendous features such as iCloud, better browsing, twitter integration, newsstand, notification center and iMessage. Check out our iOS 5.0 blog for more details.
iPhone 4S comes in both black and white. It costs $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB, all with 2 year contracts. A contract free phone is going to cost $549. The iPhone 4S is available on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint in the US and will start shipping October 14th, although it is available for pre-order starting October 7th. Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile , Three will be carrying it in the UK. iPhone 4S is also shipped to Japan, Canada, Australia, France and Germany.
iPhone 4S official video